specifying password when using krb5

Hi,

after hours of debugging, I finally write to this list to see if I understood things. Let me first explain what I tried to do and I'll post my question towards the end.

What I want to do is mount a Windows-share via 'mount.cifs'. I can see stuff on that directory using smbclient, so login credentials ect. are ok:

# smbclient -A /etc/my-credentials -L \\\\share.name.org

       Sharename       Type      Comment
       ---------       ----      -------
  ... some content ...

# smbclient -A /etc/my-credentials //share.name.org/home
Try "help" to get a list of possible commands.
smb: \> ls
 .                                   D        0  Fri Jan 31 12:36:03 2014
.. D 0 Fri Jan 29 07:38:10 2021
smb: \>

So far, so good. Now I want to mount:

# mount -t cifs '\\share.name.org\home' -o credentials=/etc/my-credentials /mnt/win
domain=MYDOMAIN
mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=10.10.10.10,unc=\\share.name.org\home,user=me@xxxxxxxxx,domain=MYDOMAIN,pass=********
mount error(13): Permission denied

Looking at wireshark-captures of the smbclient-connect I see it using krb5, so let's do that too with cifs:

# mount -t cifs '\\share.name.org\home' -o credentials=/etc/my-credentials,sec=krb5 /mnt/win
domain=MYDOMAIN
mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=10.10.10.10,unc=\\share.name.org\home,sec=krb5,user=me@xxxxxxxxx,domain=MYDOMAIN,pass=********
mount error(2): No such file or directory

Note, I do not have active krb5-tickets on this machine, I do not even have kinit installed.

Even more strange, trying without actually specifying a password:

# mount -v -t cifs '\\share.name.org\home' -o username=me@xxxxxxxxx,domain=MYDOMAIN,sec=krb5 /mnt/win
mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=10.10.10.10,unc=\\share.name.org\home,sec=krb5,user=me@xxxxxxxxx,domain=MYDOMAIN,pass=********
mount error(2): No such file or directory

Shows the same: it does not even ask me for the password (but still shows 'pass=********' in the kernel mount options). This is strange, because the docs say:

      password=arg|pass=arg
specifies the CIFS password. If this option is not given then the environment variable PASSWD is used. If the password is not specified directly or indirectly via an argument to mount, mount.cifs will prompt for a password, unless the guest option is specified.

Trying without password and without sec=krb5 does indeed give me the expected prompt.

Digging deeper, into the source of mount.cifs, I find (cifs.upcall.c:582)

/*
* Prepares AP-REQ data for mechToken and gets session key
* Uses credentials from cache. It will not ask for password
* you should receive credentials for yuor name manually using
* kinit or whatever you wish.
*/

According to that source-code comment, sec=krb5 will ignore any password setting - it will not even ask for one. mount.cifs.c:918 shows similar intentions:

       if (!strncmp(value, "krb5", 4)) {
         parsed_info->is_krb5 = 1;
         parsed_info->got_password = 1;
       }

So, now my questions:

1. Is it intended that mount.cifs will not ask for a password when using sec=krb5 and will ignore any set password? 2. I don't want to setup krb5-tokens for users. All I want is authenticate using krb5 to get the smb-session and then forget about krb5. smbclient seems to be able to do this. I don't know how they do it, I suspect they create a temporary token, open the session, and then drop it again. Whatever smbclient does: couldn't mount.cifs do the same or something similar? This would make the 'password' setting meaningful for sec=krb5. This does not mean that existing tokens couldn't and shouldn't be used. It would just mean that users would not *have* to use an external mechanism for this. 3. For the moment (and only if my observations are correct): could the documentation be updated to reflect that "password" is ignored for "sec=krb5"? Users shouldn't need to dig inside the source code to find out things like that. 4. Currently, trying sec=krb5 without token cache files results in the rather obscure error "mount error(2): No such file or directory". Could this me changed into something that points users to the actual cause of the error?
5. Am I even remotely correct with any of this? :)

thanks, Frank