Re: broken hash use in fs/cifs/dfs_cache.c

On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 07:38:15PM +0100, Aurélien Aptel wrote:
> Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > Either the key comparison or the hash function is wrong here.  *IF* something
> > external guarantees the full match, we don't need strcasecmp() - strcmp()
> > would work.  Otherwise, the hash function needs to be changed.
>
> I think here we need to make the hash case-insensitive.
>
> Perhaps calling jhash() with lower-cased bytes like so (pseudo-code):

[snip]

Then you really do not want to recalculate it again and again.
Look:

__lookup_cache_entry() calculates it for the key

lookup_cache_entry() contains
        if (cnt < 3) {
                h = cache_entry_hash(path, strlen(path));
                ce = __lookup_cache_entry(path);
                goto out;
        }

... and
                ce = __lookup_cache_entry(npath);
                if (!IS_ERR(ce)) {
                        h = cache_entry_hash(npath, strlen(npath));
                        break;
                }
(in a loop, at that)

Take a look at that the aforementioned loop:
        h = cache_entry_hash(npath, strlen(npath));
        e = npath + strlen(npath) - 1;
        while (e > s) {
                char tmp;

                /* skip separators */
                while (e > s && *e == sep)
                        e--;
                if (e == s)
                        goto out;

                tmp = *(e+1);
                *(e+1) = 0;

                ce = __lookup_cache_entry(npath);
                if (!IS_ERR(ce)) {
                        h = cache_entry_hash(npath, strlen(npath));
                        break;
                }

                *(e+1) = tmp;
                /* backward until separator */
                while (e > s && *e != sep)
                        e--;
        }
We call __lookup_cache_entry() for shorter and shorter prefixes of
npath.  They get NUL-terminated for the duration of __lookup_cache_entry(),
then reverted to the original.  What for?  cache_entry_hash() already
gets length as explicit argument.  And strcasecmp() is trivially
replaced with strncasecmp().

Just have __lookup_cache_entry() take key, hash and length.  Then it
turns into
		len = e + 1 - s;
		hash = cache_entry_hash(path, len);
		ce = __lookup_cache_entry(path, hash, len);
		if (!IS_ERR(ce)) {
			h = hash;
			break;
		}
and we are done.  No need to modify npath contents, undo the modifications
or *have* npath in the first place - the reason the current variant needs to
copy path is precisely that it goes to those contortions.

Incidentally, you also have a problem with trailing separators - anything
with those inserted into hash won't be found by lookup_cache_entry(),
since you trim the trailing separators from the key on searches.