Re: FS-Cache for cifs

fscache (perhaps more so with the recent rewrite that Dave Howells
did) may be most well suited to cifs.ko (SMB3.1.1 mounts) among the
various file systems since it would allow offline caching of files and
directories leveraging:
1) handle leases and directory leases for "strict caching" models
or
2) directory change notification for "loose caching" models
(Although file version numbers are not provided, the combination of
creation time, 64 bit DiskFileId, and last write time with 100ns time
granularity is probably sufficient to use in conjunction with this)
In addition the protocol already supports four flags to control
whether client side offline caching can/should be done:
   SMB2_SHAREFLAG_MANUAL_CACHING
   SMB2_SHAREFLAG_AUTO_CACHING
   SMB2_SHAREFLAG_VDO_CACHING
   SMB2_SHAREFLAG_NO_CACHING

So fscache could be very, very useful for cifs.ko, especially for
metadata heavy workloads that are largely from one client ... but
fscache doesn't have tight integration with many cifs features (like
handle leases e.g.) yet.

It would make sense to better tie cifs.ko in with fscache (especially
as it has shown to be useful on other operating systems over
SMB3/SMB3.1.1).

--
Thanks,

Steve