Re: list_del corruption while iterating retry_list in cifs_reconnect still seen on 5.4-rc3

On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 6:45 PM Pavel Shilovskiy <pshilov@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 5:21 PM David Wysochanski <dwysocha@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 4:59 PM Pavel Shilovskiy <pshilov@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks for the good news that the patch is stable in your workload!
> > >
> > The attached patch I ran on top of 5.4-rc3 for over 5 hrs today on the
> > reboot test - before it would crash after a few minutes tops.
>
> This is great! Thanks for verifying the fix.
>
> > > The extra flag may not be necessary and we may rely on a MID state but we would need to handle two states actually: MID_RETRY_NEEDED and MID_SHUTDOWN - see clean_demultiplex_info() which is doing the same things with mid as cifs_reconnect(). Please add ref counting to both functions since they both can race with system call threads.
> > >

> > I agree that loop has the same problem.  I can add that you're ok with the mid_state approach.  I think the only other option is probably a flag like Ronnie
> > suggested.
> > I will have to review the state machine more when I am more alert if you are concerned about possible subtle regressions.
>
> I am ok with both approaches as long as the stable patch is minimal. Thinking about this conditional assignment of the mid retry state: I don't think there is any case in the current code base where the WARN_ON you proposed would fire but I can't be sure about all possible stable kernel that the stable patch is going to be applied.

Right but look at it this way.  If we conditionally set the state,
then what is preventing a duplicate list_del_init call?  Let's say we
get into the special case that you're not sure it could happen
(mid_entry->mid_state == MID_REQUEST_SUBMITTED is false), and so the
mid_state does not get set to MID_RETRY_NEEDED inside cifs_reconnect
but yet the mid gets added to retry_list.  In that case both the
cifs_reconnect code path will call list_del_init as well as the other
code paths which we're adding the conditional tests and that will
cause a blowup again because cifs_reconnect retry_list loop will end
up in a singleton list and exhaust the refcount, leading to the same
crash.  This is exactly why the refcount only patch crashed again -
it's erroneous to think it's ok to modify mid_entry->qhead without a)
taking globalMid_Lock and b) checking mid_state is what you think it
should be.  But if you're really concerned about that 'if' condition
and want to leave it, and you want a stable patch, then the extra flag
seems like the way to go.  But that has the downside that it's only
being done for stable, so a later patch will likely remove it
(presumably).  I am not sure what such policy is or if that is even
acceptable or allowed.