Re: v5.1-rc1 cifs bug: underflow; use-after-free.

Hi,

Dominik Brodowski <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> when mounting a cifs (vers=2.0, unfortunately...) volume on v5.1-rc1, I get
> the following warning (slightly edited to avoid information leaks):

The cached root can be closed 2 ways:
- from the cifs_get_inode_info()
- from a lease break while it is open

So here's my theory:

in the mount task:
=> mount()
  => cifs_get_inode_info()
    => open_shroot()
       (at this point root has open handle with lease)

in the receive loop task:
         <==== LEASE BREAK arrives (root modified from another smb
                                    client)
               queues & call cached root lease break callback
               smb2_cached_lease_break()
               => close_shroot()
                  refcount reaches 0, we release the cached fid

back in the mount task:
    => we are done with the handle time to call
      => close_shroot()
          refcount already 0, releasing again

----

Now, since the release function doesn't actually frees the cached_fid
struct but closes the handle sets an invalid flag instead I think this
message can be ignored, because the release function checks for the flag
anyway. i.e. second time we call smb2_close_cached_fid, it is a no-op.

See:

static void
smb2_close_cached_fid(struct kref *ref)
{
	struct cached_fid *cfid = container_of(ref, struct cached_fid,
					       refcount);

	if (cfid->is_valid) {
		cifs_dbg(FYI, "clear cached root file handle\n");
		SMB2_close(0, cfid->tcon, cfid->fid->persistent_fid,
			   cfid->fid->volatile_fid);
		cfid->is_valid = false;
		cfid->file_all_info_is_valid = false;
	}
}

void close_shroot(struct cached_fid *cfid)
{
	mutex_lock(&cfid->fid_mutex);
	kref_put(&cfid->refcount, smb2_close_cached_fid);
	mutex_unlock(&cfid->fid_mutex);
}

If you enable verbose debugging [1], if my theory is correct you should
see a lease break messsage followed by "clear cached root file handle"
message before the warning.

Since we take a mutex before and after the kref, it kind of defeats the
purpose of the atomic kref i.e. we could use a regular integer as
refcount and simply do this:

void close_shroot(struct cached_fid *cfid)
{
	mutex_lock(&cfid->fid_mutex);
	if (cfid->refcount-- && cfid->is_valid) {
		cifs_dbg(FYI, "clear cached root file handle\n");
		SMB2_close(0, cfid->tcon, cfid->fid->persistent_fid,
			   cfid->fid->volatile_fid);
		cfid->is_valid = false;
		cfid->file_all_info_is_valid = false;
	}
	mutex_unlock(&cfid->fid_mutex);
}

(we need to replace other usage of the kref and check they are all
protected by taking the mutex as well)

1: https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Bug_Reporting#cifs.ko
--
Aurélien Aptel / SUSE Labs Samba Team
GPG: 1839 CB5F 9F5B FB9B AA97  8C99 03C8 A49B 521B D5D3