Re: Making the in-kernel DNS resolver handle server lists

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 4:18 PM David Howells <dhowells@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Steve French <smfrench@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Yes - this could be very useful for cifs  (SMB3) in processing DFS
> > (global namespace) referrals and also in Witness protocol
> > redirections, as well as some reconnect scenarios
>
> Would the data format I outlined be sufficient for you?
>
> > (especially when low in memory when upcalls could be risky)
>
> Ummm...  It's still upcalling - but a single upcall to fetch a block of
> associated servers and all their addresses.

In a reconnect scenario - anything we can do to make it more likely
reconnect works (especially
with all of the failover, clustering and redirections mechanisms in
SMB3 and later) and can
resolve the new host is good ... so yes even if upcall as long as less
likely to hang ... this
is good

--
Thanks,