Re: Can I reduce the CIFS client connection timeout?

Hello Josh,

The client will wait 2 * echo interval before marking a server
unresponsive. The default echo interval is set to 60 seconds. You can
tune this to a lower value using the echo_interval=n mount option. In
your case, you can set echo_interval to 8 so that the server is marked
unresponsive after 15 seconds of the server being unavailable.

Upstream patch which added this option.
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=adfeb3e00e8e1b9fb4ad19eb7367e7c272d16003

Explanation of the code before that patch was added:
http://sprabhu.blogspot.in/2015/08/investigation-into-effects-of-server.html

Sachin Prabhu