Re: CIFS backporting for kernel 2.6, SMB2/3 dialect support

Concur with  Aurélien.

2.6.32 is VERY old and there are several core kernel APIs that have
changed significantly between 2.6 and current kernels.
For example the whole iovector API for how buffers are handled changed
dramatically. And there are other dramatic API  changes too.

As a lot of distros do ship "old-ish" (but not as old as 2.6) kernels
but with modern CIFS, it is not impossible but it is far far from
being trivial.
Especially since 2.6.32 is so old that you will have to write a whole
bunch of translation wrappers to accomodate the
kernel API changes that cifs.ko need to interface to.

Unless you are willing to dedicate resources to a big port, and
continued support,
It is possible but will require significant effort and likely
significant cost, both to backport it as well as supporting it.
I would just stick with 2.6.32 and SMB1 for now until you get to the
point where you can upgrade the whole distro/kernel to a more recent
varient.

regards
ronnie sahlberg