Re: RFC: Revert move default dialect from CIFS to to SMB3

On Thu, 2017-08-31 at 21:42 -0500, Steve French wrote:
> Any thoughts on this patch to add additional warnings for the user -
> logging when using default dialects (or when server returns dialect
> not supported), and noting the default dialect change?
>
> See https://git.samba.org/?p=sfrench/cifs-2.6.git;a=commit;h=bb86f22eeddbb5879675b55168b8fa8990d74a21

Breaking backward compatability sucks, but I agree that there's no real
alternative here. SMB1 is just not a safe default these days.

> On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 7:29 PM, Steve French <smfrench@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Yes - updating the parsing slightly and printks as suggested makes sense
> >
> > Some additional warning messages in the userspace helper (adding Jeff
> > Layton), mount.cifs can also help.

What do you suggest here?

> > I also have an experimental set of patches to allow multi-dialect
> > negotiation with at least three of the acceptable dialects
> > (smb2.1/smb3/smb3.02) which will help, but complicate secure dialect
> > validation ("validate negotiate") but that will have to wait till next
> > release.

That seems like the best way to fix this. If you fail to negotiate any
dialect, throw a warning then.

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>