PROBLEM: CIFS SMB2/SMB3 does not work for domain based DFS

Hi,

I am having problems mounting a domain based DFS share using mount.cifs with the parameter vers=2.0 or vers=3.0, even though it works with the deprecated version vers=1.0.

My test setup includes two separated Windows 2016 servers (180days eval iso), with the following roles:

* on the first I'm running the domain controller (DC)
* on the second VM I installed the DFS Namespace Root role (DFSN) and this VM also serves the actual shares

Now, when trying to mount, the following error occurs:

mount //domain.dev.com/files/sales /smb -o user=Administrator,password=xxxxxx,vers=3.0

CIFS VFS: BAD_NETWORK_NAME: \\domain.dev.com\files
CIFS VFS: session ffff88003bd0c000 has no tcon available for a dfs referral request
CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -2

It's working fine, with SMB1. It does also work, when I specify the DFSN server directly:

mount //dfsn/files/sales /smb -o user=Administrator,password=xxxxxx,vers=3.0

>From my point of view it looks like there is no resolution attempt of resolving the domain based UNC (//domain.dev.com/files) into the actual dfsroot representation.

Since my domain controller doesn't host the dfsroot structure, any attempts resolving on it directly will fail.

I tried initially with Kernel 4.11 but also build a recent 4.13 with the same issues.
Latest keyutils (/sbin/key.dns_resolver) are in place and configured on the system.

Do you need any further scripts/explanations how I set up the test servers? It's nothing special, everything sticks to the defaults.

Best,
Robert

Totemo Support

phone: +41 44 914 99 00