Re: cifs running amok after being disconnected (timeout?)

Aurélien Aptel wrote:
Hi,

L A Walsh <cifs@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
I tried turning on debug by echoing 1 to /proc/fs/cifs/traceSMB, and that
"effectively" stopped the conversation, as it was then saturating my
message log with lines like:

enabling traceSMB just does a hexdump of every packet sent on the
wire. You probably want this:

    echo 1 > /proc/fs/cifs/cifsFYI
    echo 'module cifs +p' > /sys/kernel/debug/dynamic_debug/control
    echo 'file fs/cifs/* +p' > /sys/kernel/debug/dynamic_debug/control

with CONFIG_CIFS_DEBUG, CONFIG_CIFS_DEBUG2, CONFIG_DYNAMIC_DEBUG enabled.
----
   Have to gen a new kernel -- about time for that w/4.10 being
released...but the last patch and one before don't apply well
for some reason ('git' tag? or index up front?)...

Any idea what might have been going on?  Anything better tracing
options to determine what was going on?

As you said it seems the server keeps reseting the tcp connexion. A full
trace starting from the initial mount will help.

You should be able to open a bug on either samba on the kernel
bugtracker and attach traces there.
----
   kernel seems best for kernel-based stuff.
Have you tried to mount using a newer protocol (2.1 or 3.0)? (using
e.g. -o vers=2.1)
----
   I don't specify a protocol on my mount lines, but the
samba server doesn't have a SMB2.1 option that I know of (nor
a 'SMB3').  Should samba allow specifications of 'smb' > 2?

   As for the client -- Win7, it could use 2.1 I believe
(not sure what differences are between 2.1 and 2), but smb3
is unavailable for win7.  That said, though, if I don't
specify a proto, the client is win7sp1, and the server is
the in-kernel CIFS, shouldn't "2.1" be negotiated as
the highest level supported?