"CIFS VFS: SMB response too short (9 bytes)" when copying data from CIFS mount

Hello,

I have tested this setup on Ubuntu 14.04 using 3.13.0-32-generic and
3.19.0-28-generic with the same results (cifs-utils 6.0 in both cases). I have a
CIFS mountpoint set up on the server with the following options:
ro,relatime,vers=1.0,cache=strict,username=myusername,domain=EXAMPLE,uid=0,noforceuid,gid=0,noforcegid,addr=192.168.1.4,unix,posixpaths,serverino,acl,rsize=1048576,wsize=65536,actimeo=1 0 0

I am then using rsync to sync data from the mountpoint to a local directory.
Shortly after starting rsync, I see dmesg fill up with this message repeated
hundreds of times:
CIFS VFS: SMB response too short (9 bytes)

At this point, if I watch the df output I see that no new data is being synced
locally. If I strace the rsync process, this sometimes makes rsync continue
syncing data for a minute or two, but eventually it stops again. Note that I
encountered this same issue a few months ago using perl:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.cifs/10640

What can I do to debug this? Is there a bug in the CIFS kernel driver?

Thanks,

Andrew Martin