Re: Problem with mount.cifs in Fedora 19.

On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 11:28:52 -0700
Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 03/27/2015 11:39 AM, Ben Greear wrote:
> > On 03/27/2015 11:35 AM, Steve French wrote:
> >> There was the bug about SecurityFlags that Niklas Cassel's "fix MUST
> >> SecurityFlags filtering" patch addressed.  Does it work if you rename
> >> /sbin/mount.cifs to something else temporarily (so it goes straight to
> >> the kernel) and supply ip address on the mount instead of hostname (so
> >> you don't need the mount helper)
> >
> > We are trying to set up a local system to reproduce the problem,
> > and will try this out there if we can.
> >
> > Or, I'll try this on the customer system if we cannot reproduce it
> > locally.
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> We tried testing with a guest account, but that does not reproduce the
> problem for us, and we cannot yet figure out how to configure
> the smb server with a normal user with no password.
>
> Do you happen to know how to do this, or if it can even be done in Linux?
>
> Would you expect the guest account approach to reproduce the problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Ben

There were a lot of authentication layer changes between those two
fedora releases, IIRC.

One thing you can do is simply use "sec=none" which will make
mount.cifs skip prompting for a password. "guest" on the other hand
makes it skip prompting for a password and also pass in a blank
username -- that's probably not what you want.

The big difference though might be that the more recent kernel is
trying to use NTLMSSP auth instead of older NTLM auth. If you can get
network captures of mount attempts from both clients, have a close
look at the SESSION_SETUP calls and see whether that's the case.

Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>