Re: Access denied in sub-folder

Hello Halvor,

This looks similar to an issue that I had with a 2.6 kernel.  It appears
that you might be using ntlmssp or ntlmsspi.  I don't use smbmount so I
don't know anything about that program but I assume that it runs in user
space where most of the heavy lifting for mount.cifs happens in kernel
space.

You might be connecting to a DFS share which requires that the
authentication level is the same on all shared directories used by the DFS
share.  If one machine is using NTLMSSP on the DFS namespace server but
the other machine that is also referenced by the DFS share is using NTLMv2
or NTLM you will get an authentication error because once mount.cifs is
called and you specify the protocol that is the only protocol that will be
used inside the kernel.  smbmount on the other hand might try to connect
using other protocols because it itself is doing all of the connecting.
Just a wild guess....  What you should do is run a network trace on the
connection attempt and look for a DFS referral and if there is one this
might be the problem.  Once you have the address of the referral, it will
be passed as text, try to connect using the same parameters that you were
using before and see if it connects.

Good luck.