Inode issue with latest install of Red Hat 5 kernel

Hi,

I just installed the latest kernel 2.16.18-371.6.1.el5 on my Red Hat 5.8
Linux 64-bit server and when I mount a Windows Server 2008 R2  Enterprise
6.1 Service Pack 1 share, I lose the inode when I run any commands like
"grep", "less" or "find" on any file on the share.  This doesn't happen on
the old kernel 2.16.18-164.el5 that I have installed as well.  I've set the
/proc/fs/cifs/cifsFYI to 3 for debugging info and can send the output of the
dmesg's file, if you want to review it.  I'm mounting the share with the
command "mount -t cifs -o user=name //ip_address/software /path/to/folder.
When I perform "ls -i /path/to/folder" or stat filename /path/to/folder the
file or files have an inode - a number greater than 0, but when I execute a
command like "grep", the inode is 0.  So, the inode is getting lost on the
new kernel update.  The Red Hat Linux Server 5.8 is a VM running on VmWare
Workstation 9.0.2 build 1031769.

I imported the OVF of the Red Hat 5.8 VM on my Windows 2008 Server R2
Standard Version Service Pack 1 and installed the latest and same kernel -
2.16.18-371.6.1.el5 and everything works fine.  I can "grep" a file or "ls"
a file and the inode is unchanged.

This is really strange and was hoping someone may have an idea.  It's not a
big deal, I can use the old kernel, but would like to know if there's a fix
for this problem.  If you need more information, please let me know and I
can send the output of the dmesg > boot.messages file.

fs/cifs/sess.c: serverOS=Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise 7601 Service Pack
1
fs/cifs/sess.c: serverNOS=Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise 6.1
fs/cifs/connect.c: disk share connection
fs/cifs/connect.c: nativeFileSystem=NTFS

Thanks,
Tony

Tony Jones
Talino Technology, Inc.