DFS with unix extensions or mfsymlinks/SFU

Hi,

we recently deployed a DFS setup based on Samba 4. Things are working well on Windows computers while we have some troubles with our Linux terminal servers.

Our company's DFS tree is mounted at /dfs using sec=krb and the multiuser option. As soon as there are DFS links we get the famous

ls: cannot read symbolic link FOOBAR: Object is remote

message. However we can chdir into the directory (and display its contents) even though it sometimes doesn't work immediately. When I however disable unix extensions (-o nounix) I don't have these issues and DFS referrals get resolved/mounted immediately, that's why we currently use this option. However disabling unix extensions is not an option long term as our users need software which creates e.g. pipes/FIFOs, does file locking etc. and worked well before (with OpenAFS). This could be achieved by using the «sfu» option. But if I enable SFU support, I can neither create symlinks nor use the mfsymlinks mount option. So whatever approach I chose, there's always something not working properly.

Do you have any advice? Is there any reason why SFU does not work in conjunction with MFSymLinks?

More information:

Mount options used:
- mostly working DFS setup without unix extensions: sec=krb5,nounix,multiuser,mfsymlinks,dir_mode=0700,file_mode=0700,noserverino,cache=strict,mapchars,rsize=16777216,wsize=16777216,nobrl

- Simple test setup with unix extensions:
sec=krb5,multiuser,cache=strict

System: Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS x86_64
Kernel version: 3.13.6 (current  Ubuntu 14.04 kernel)
CIFS utils: 6.3
Keyutils: 1.5.9

# grep CIFS /boot/config-3.13.0-21-generic
CONFIG_CIFS=m
CONFIG_CIFS_STATS=y
# CONFIG_CIFS_STATS2 is not set
CONFIG_CIFS_WEAK_PW_HASH=y