Re: Question regarding CIFS cache=loose behavior.

On Fri, 21 Mar 2014 12:56:34 +0400
Pavel Shilovsky <piastryyy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > On Fri, 21 Mar 2014 05:56:04 +0900
> > Tetsuo Handa <penguin-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> The "size is updated" means "stat() detects the growth of file size",
> >> doesn't it? Then, the former is expected behavior.

> >> But why is the latter ( "read() returns non-0 when stat() detects the growth
> >> of file size but the data actually read is '\0'" ) is expected behavior?
> >> It sounds like a bug that the client caches '\0' (data nobody has ever wrote)
> >> instead of '.' (data somebody wrote when the file size grew).
> >>

> > Yeah, that sounds wrong. What should happen is that the cache is
> > invalidated when the size changes. It's possible there is a race in
> > that code however. The locking around it is pretty sloppy...
>
> When fstat() get a new file size it sets
> CIFS_I(inode)->invalid_mapping to true but do not revalidate the
> cache. Then generic_file_aio_read() reads the wrong data. I think we
> need to check if CIFS_I(inode)->invalid_mapping is true and revalidate
> the cache before calling generic_file_aio_read() in
> file->f_ops->aio_read(). Now cache revalidation happens in lookup/open
> and mmap codepaths only for cache=loose.
>
> Of course, cache=loose is not recommended for this sort of work flow
> and cache=strict should be used to provide a data coherency between
> several machines.

Ahh right, you're quite correct that we need to revalidate the cache
before doing an aio_read. We should have cifs do something like
nfs_file_read() does...

I also suspect that we have a problem with the invalid_mapping flag
similar to the one NFS had until recently. That was fixed by commit
d529ef83c355. We probably ought to do something similar for cifs.

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>