Re: cifs: revalidate directories instiantiated via FIND_* in order to handle DFS referrals

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 01:42:44 -0500
Steve French <smfrench@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Looking at this issue at the plugfest this week - the recommendation
> is to add a check for ATTR_REPARSE
> since this is usually set (for the Windows case) for DFS links (DFS
> links are one case of reparse points - but the performance hit for
> revalidating all reparse points is not bad).   Tomorrow we can check
> for the Samba case in more detail to see how the scenario looks and
> whether we can workaround it.
>
> We did find another workaround which could be checked, but decided
> against using that one in preference to simply checking for the
> reparse attribute.   In the Windows case since you don't create
> subdirectories under a DFS link on the server side - the creation time
> and last write time of the directory will match for the case of a DFS
> link returned by QueryDir or FindFirst (so we also could have refused
> to cache directories whose creation time and last write time match -
> which would also mean that we don't cache empty subdirectories which
> is also a trivial perf hit to not cache those - it would be easy
> enough to refuse to cache those directories too if you want).

Sounds reasonable -- you should probably post the patch you've already
merged into your for-next branch so others can comment and review
though...

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>