Fwd: Linux CIFS and Nexenta compatibility issue

On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 12:18 PM, Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Jun 2013 13:15:53 +0200
> Ketil Froyn <ketil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a Nexenta system (based on OpenSolaris/IllumOS) running ZFS
> > shared with CIFS. After upgrading to Ubuntu 13.04, I'm unable to mount
> > the Nexenta CIFS shares. I've posted an Ubuntu bug report here with
> > details (though I'm not sure cifs-utils was the right place to report
> > this), including cifsFYI enabled trace of the mount operation:
> >
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cifs-utils/+bug/1185025
> >
> > In the test results shown, I had specified my username and password to
> > mount. I have since discovered that when specifying my
> > username/password directly to mount, I am able to mount the shares
> > with the sec=ntlm or sec=ntlmv2 options. However, I've used
> > Likewise-Open to sign my desktop into the AD domain, so that any AD
> > user ID can log on to Ubuntu, and then get CIFS shares automounted
> > with the user's credentials. I guess mount uses sec=krb5 to mount
> > these shares.  That still fails with the same log output. This works
> > fine on all the shares except Nexenta shares, and with Ubuntu 12.10
> > the Nexenta shares worked fine.
> >
> > So there appears to be some sort of CIFS compatibility issue between
> > Nexenta OS 3.1.3.5 and Ubuntu 13.04. In short, all other OS-es
> > (Windows, Mac, other versions of Ubuntu) work with the Nexenta OS
> > 3.1.3.5 CIFS server and all other CIFS servers in the domain, and
> > Ubuntu 13.04 works with all other CIFS servers in the domain, but not
> > the Nexenta 3.1.3.5 server. So something in the linux CIFS codebase
> > between Ubuntu 12.10 and 13.04 appears to have triggered this error.
> >
> > Is there anything else I can do to find out exactly what is happening,
> > and whether this is linux CIFS' or Nexenta OS's fault, or a
> > combination?
> >
> > Ubuntu 13.04 uses cifs-utils 5.5, presumably with some Ubuntu patches,
> > and linux kernel 3.8.0, presumably also with Ubuntu patches.
> >
> > Regards, Ketil
>
> Likely more fallout from the change to sec=ntlmssp by default. I wonder
> if the nexenta server doesn't support extended security? In any case,
> does this work if you mount with sec=ntlmv2 in the options? If that
> doesn't work, can you try sec=ntlm?

Ketil said: "I am able to mount the shares with the sec=ntlm or sec=ntlmv2
options" so presumably is related to the lack of extended security support
and our need to build in some sort of retry logic to workaround the bugs in
the servers which require ntlmssp and the servers with bugs handling ntlmssp
- so we have to be able to try both since we have servers with both types of
bugs to workaround

--
Thanks,

Steve