Re: Cannot mount Canon Scanner CIFS share with cifs while smbclient works

On Mon, 8 Apr 2013 21:40:49 +0200
Marc Haber <mh+linux-cifs@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I own a Canon MX 420 scanner which can scan to a memory card and then
> offer the scanned information via CIFS. Up to a few kernel versions
> ago (I think it worked with 3.6, but am not sure about that), things
> worked just fine and then stopped.
>
> The issue is the following:
>
> $ sudo mount.cifs  '\\mx420-sch8.local\canon_memory' /media/scanner -o user=anonymous,nounix --verbose
> Password: <enter>
> mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=192.168.218.36,unc=\\mx420-sch8.local\canon_memory,nounix,user=anonymous,pass=********
> mount error(5): Input/output error
> Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
>
> A pcap file of the network traffic caused by this command can be
> downloaded from http://q.bofh.de/~mh/stuff/tcpdump.mount.cifs.
>
> Otoh, smbclient '\\mx420-sch8.local\canon_memory' works. A pcap file
> of the network traffic caused by this command can be downloaded from
> http://q.bofh.de/~mh/stuff/tcpdump.smbclient.
>
> As somebody not knowing CIFS too well, I note that smbclients tries as
> anonymous, while the kernel tries to log in first and receives an
> error answer from the scanner.
>
> This behavior has changed at some point of the last six months. The
> kernel 3.7 found in grml's 2013.02 release works, at least the 3.8.5
> currently running on my notebook doesn't.
>
> Any hints how do address this issue?
>
> Greetings
> Marc

(cc'ing Steve)

Looks like more fallout from commit 81bcd8b795229c. Steve, weren't you
working on a patch to fix the client to handle the situation where the
server replies to the NEGOTIATE with the extended security bit clear?

In any case, a workaround for now might be to try and mount with
sec=none. I *think* that will make the client do what smbclient is
doing here.

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxx>