Re: FIPS mode in the kernel break CIFS mounts?

On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 09:10:28 -0600
Steve French <smfrench@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 9:02 AM, Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 12:38:46 +0530
> > Suresh Jayaraman <sjayaraman@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I was told that (haven't checked myself, yet) that booting in FIPS
> >> (Federal Information Processing Standard) mode by adding "fips=1" to
> >> grub.conf breaks CIFS mounts by returning -ENOENT.
> >>
> >> I thought I'd ask if this is a known problem before I spend more time on
> >> this.
> >>

> >> Thanks
> >>

> > Yep, known problem. We try to load several crypto routines during the
> > mount process, and that fails in FIPS mode since they aren't allowed.
> > The fix is to only load those routines once we know that we actually
> > need them and only fail in those cases. There are no patches for that
> > yet, AFAIK.
> >
> > Note that enabling FIPS mode will almost certainly break both NTLMv1
> > and NTLMv2 auth, since those require md4 and md5. It might be nice to
> > update the manpage with what sec= options actually work after enabling
> > FIPS mode once the main problem is fixed.
>
> Any good reference to this?  Would be good to track this via a bug report.
> Although presumably we would be fine with SMB2/SMB3 and krb5,
> it wasn't immediately obvious to me why MD5 would not be allowed since
> I see it in various lists of FIPS algorithm certifications but not for
> RHEL 6.2 which listed the following:
>
> -FIPS-approved algorithms: AES (Certs. #1968, #1969, #1970, #1971 and
> #1972); Triple-DES (Certs. #1278 and #1279); SHS (Certs. #1725 and
> #1726); HMAC (Certs. #1187, #1188, #1199 and #1200); RNG (Certs.
> #1033, #1034, #1035, #1036 and #1037); DSA (Certs #628, #629, #634 and
> #635)

I'm pretty sure md5 is proscribed by FIPS, though all the info I have
on this is second hand. The fact that md5 was blacklisted was one of
the reasons I avoided using it for the nfsd reboot recovery work that
was recently merged.

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>