Mounting CIFS with root not accessible - permission denied

Basic explanation: Mounting a SMB share with CIFS fails saying in the
kernel log that it can't traverse up to the root directory if the root
directory is not accessible (in my case with NTFS ACLs), even if
prefixpath is used.

Read a few earlier threads on this that said this was fixed, but it
seems to still be a problem for me on 3.7.0-rc8+.