Terminate 5 minute timeout for CIFS mount to missing server in stab?

Hello,

I searched the archive but only found some discussion regarding "wait indefinitely for responses" from 2010. I hope this isn't a redundant question!

I have a CIFS entry in my fstab to a remote server on my VPN, so it's not available when I'm not connected to my VPN. When not connected, mount -a hangs for about 5 minutes before finally failing with "connection timed out". If I connect my VPN in the middle of that wait, and verify it's connected, mount still hangs for that entire timeout before failing. If I try again, it succeeds.

Is there any issue with kill -9 for the mount -a process, in order to more quickly retry? I was planning to automate it, and to keep retrying until mount succeeds.

Basically, I need quicker failure than 5 minutes, and I can't find any CIFS timeout settings. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
- Matthew