Re: Establishing connections in the presence of multi-connect ... should we be searching top down not bottom up?

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 4:03 AM, Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 12:10:02 -0700
>
> Currently, we have a pretty clear hierarchy of objects:
>
>     server->session->tcon
>
> There is no global list of tcons, so you'll need to walk 3 different
> nested sets of lists in order to reverse the search order.
>
> The way I had envisioned implementing this was to add a new
> "connection" object that would hang off the "server" struct (probably
> on a list) and move most of the socket-specific fields into that. That
> way a "server" could have multiple "connections".

OK, now I see what you meant before. Currently, the TCP_Server_Info
has connection info embedded in it, and this will have to be broken
out. Since I will need a separate connection structure anyway for
RDMA, I will have to do that anyway, I think.

> An RDMA connection would be slightly different than a socket connection
> -- either different struct altogether or maybe a unioned with a TCP
> connection. It would get its own set of callbacks and could be
> connected and torn down as necessary.

Yes, I agree.

> Matching a "server" at that point becomes a bit more complex, probably
> a matter of ensuring that all the connection objects are valid for the
> mount.
>
> Attempting to match the tcon first is probably a reasonable shortcut at
> least in some cases however.

I will also give some thought to the bisectability issue.

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe