Re: First steps towards using socket callbacks: Elimination of the cifs_demultiplex_thread

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 4:18 PM, Richard Sharpe
<realrichardsharpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I think it is possible to convert the CIFS code to using the socket
> callbacks in a step-by-step process.
>
> It seems possible to eliminate the cifs_demultiplex_thread by using
> the sk_data_ready callback on the socket structure
> (server->ssocket->sk) to drive the receipt of incoming data on the TCP
> connection and have the callback drive the processing that is done in
> the main loop of the cifs_demultiplex_thread.
>
> Obviously, there will be a number of details to get correct, and in
> particular, the handling of socket errors and reconnect might take
> some work because we are called in a different context than the thread
> context.
>
> This would also seem to allow me to unite the RDMA case if I ever get
> to that ...
>
> However, what I worry about is the possibility of stalls/deadlocks.

I think I will also have to use the sk_state_change callback to handle
connections that have gone away, and then queue work to a workqueue to
process things like cifs_reconnect.

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe