Re: long cifs timeout when share becomes unavailable

Jeff Layton писал 24.05.2012 14:31:
On Thu, 24 May 2012 10:13:29 +0400
Sergey Urushkin <urushkin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

And I can not see any timeout options for mount.cifs (except acl timeout).
So, the actual questions are: 1) is there a way to avoid these hangs
(analog of 'intr'?) and 2) how can I reduce this unreachable-host timeout
(analog of 'timeo'?)? Maybe there are some variables in the sources?

You can try setting the echo_retries kernel module parameter to 1,
which should cut down the wait time to 60s. In 3.4, we've removed
that parm and it's now set to 1 always. The timeout between echo
requests (which is how we detect whether the server is still
responding) is not currently tunable.

That works like a charm, 60s is much better than 5m, thanks a lot. From documentation (for kernels before 3.4) it isn't clear what behavior this parm changes, maybe docs should be fixed some way? Could you explain to me why SMB_ECHO_INTERVAL is so big by default? Is there any side effect of changing it to, for example, "30"? Does this change means that every 30 secs (twice more often) client will send special packets to the server (even in the case mounted share isn't used by any application at the moment)? What's about my first question? Could I make ls-like applications interruptible somehow?

Thanks a lot again!

--
Best regards,
Sergey Urushkin