Re: [Samba] Trouble with mount.cifs while smbclient works (Ubuntu 12.04)

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 3:52 PM,  <Scott_Purcell@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I just upgraded from Ubuntu 11.04 to 12.04 and am working to restore access to the windows shares I use at work.
>

> smbclient connects immediately:
>

>     sudo smbclient //server/share -A /etc/.smb_creds.txt
>

> mount.cifs fails (with "mount error(13): Permission denied"):
>

>     sudo mount.cifs //server/share /mnt/ -o credentials=/etc/.smb_creds.txt
>

> my credentials file is as follows (with the proper values, of course):
>

>     username=mynamehere
>
>    password=password
>
>     domain=MyDomain
>

> I remember on a previous occasion having resolved a problem by including a mount option "noserverino". I've tried that to no effect. I've also tried "sec=ntlmv2"
>

> The syslog contains this message in response to each failed attempt:
>

>     CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -13
>

> Whatever this glitch is, it seems pervasive.  smbclient is the ONLY way I've been able to successfully connect to my shares so far. Failed methods attempted include:
>

> * mounting with "mount -t cifs ..."
>
> * mounting with "mount -t smbfs ..."
>
> * mounting directly with "mount.cifs ..."
>
> * configuring smbnetfs (supposed to make the windows network browsable from a  single mountpoint -- I could see the servers and shares, but not directories on the shares)
>
> * configuring fusesmb
>
> * Nautilus' "Connect to Server" functionality
>
> * Nautilus' "smb:///..." browsing
>

> It seems like smbclient is handling authentication in one way (working) and everything else is doing it in some different way.
>

> I'm baffled and appreciative of any suggestions you can provide. Thanks in advance.
>

> Scott Purcell
>
> Dell | GSD Learning & Development
>

> Scott Purcell
> Content Development: Linux, Virtualization, and Cloud Solutions
> Dell | GSD Learning & Development
> All about me on PeopleSearch<http://peoplesearch.dell.com/pages/profile.aspx?accountname=AMERICAS\SCOTT_PURCELL> | Follow me on Chatter<https://na7.salesforce.com/_ui/core/userprofile/UserProfilePage?u=005A0000000buOq>
>
> --

What is the Windows server?  Can you try a command like

mount -t cifs //servername/sharename <mount_point> -o sec=ntlmsspi,
user=<username>,pass=<password>

You can paste your smb.conf that smbclient uses as well.

Regards,

Shirish