Re: cifs speed problems

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 1:41 PM, Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 20:30:00 +0100
> Benjamin Schindler <bschindler@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Ah, I thought its already in 3.1 - I just tried and its much better. I
>> can now do the same transfer in about 9 seconds. nfs is with 7-8 secs
>> still faster, but I think I can live with that
>>
>> Thank you
>> Benjamin
>>
>> On 02.01.2012 12:48, Jeff Layton wrote:

>> > You may want to try a 3.2-rc kernel. We just added async read support in
>> > 3.2 which should increase throughput.
>> >

> (re-cc'ing linux-cifs list)
>
> No problem. Unfortunately, we're somewhat hamstrung by the protocol
> when talking to standard cifs servers, so there's not a lot we can
> do to make it go faster.
>
> Depending on the number of concurrent requests that the server will
> allow, you may be able to get the speed up even more.
>
> Once Steve does his promised patch to make the client respect the
> MaxRequests value that the server sends during the protocol
> negotiation, that may increase the concurrency and hence the throughput.

Thanks for reminding me ... I would like to propose that the patch
- honor the cifs max mpx (usually 50, but 10 for some windows workstations),
but require maxmpx of at least two (or three).
- treat the minimum of the negotiated maxmpx and the insmod parm
"cifs_max_pending" as the limit on simultaneous requests on any socket
- perhaps raise cifs_max_pending to a more reasonable value (100?) to
benefit those servers which allow more parallelism, and to recognize
that
for smb2 significantly more requests in flight will be common (smb2
does not negotiate a maxmpx, but with its "credit" mechanism on every
request
it would be common to exceed 50 in flight)

Thoughts?

--
Thanks,

Steve