Re: cifs and win2k8

On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 12:30:03 +0200
sean finney <seanius@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello Terrence,
>
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 07:18:20AM -0400, Terrence Shipclark wrote:
> > I have been attempting to get the cifs kernel modules to mount the
> > win2k8 dfs at my workplace.   I did finally manage to get
> > the dfs to mount after modifying the kernel module with this small patch
>
> I believe this should already be fixed (in a more correct fashion) in >= 3.0.
>
> > Within the dfs tree there is a referral to //server/share$/folder.
> > My user has access to //server/share$/folder, however do not have
> > access to
> > //server/$share.  While following the referral the cifs module does a
> > QUERY_PATH_INFO on \\server\share$\folder, and then is followed up
> > by a QUERY_PATH_INFO on \\server\share$\ which rightfully returns a
> > STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED from the server.
>
> I've also noticed that the mounting process seems to query more than
> it should, but I've taken the easy way out and asked the local windows
> admin to add "traverse filesystem" and "read attributes" permissions on
> the parent folders, which should be enough.  I suspect that there is a
> "real fix" to avoid this, but haven't looked too hard myself.

I believe this is a known bug...

3.0 got a patchset to allow superblocks to be shared, but that
regressed the above use case (mounting a directory that you have access
to but not the stuff below it).

Pavel had some patches that he was going to propose to fix it, but
discussion of them sort of fell off. Pavel, did you ever come up with
something that worked here?

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxx>