mount.cifs prerequisites

Dear List,
I am running a 2.6.28 kernel that I have compiled with cifs filesystem
support. I am trying to mount a share from a windows 2008 server requiring
ntlmv2. when I try to pass the option sec=ntlmv2 or ntlmv2i I receive an
invalid argument message. If I omit the sec option I receive a permission
denied.
I have also tried to use a stock Debian kernel (2.6.32) that I have
checked to have cifs compiled in and I get the same results. If I perform
a 'modinfo cifs' it shows the module to be loaded and that I am running
ver 1.61 of cifs.
Is there any other components I need to check (do I need a library package
to support ntlmv2??)
I can mount shares of servers that allow NTLMv1.

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks Bruce