Re: DNS resolver cache does not expire

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 23:15:29 +0400
Pavel Shilovsky <piastryyy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 2011/6/23 Grazvydas Ignotas <notasas@xxxxxxxxx>:
> > Hello,
> >
> > one of our slave servers have changed it's address, and I can no
> > longer access it's shares that are forwarded to by the main server
> > using DFS redirection. The slave server resolves correctly when trying
> > to access it directly, but when trying to access through a mount on
> > the main server, cifsFYI shows dns_resolve_server_name_to_ip returns
> > the old address. I've verified slave server names match and windows
> > clients can access those DFS shares correctly. It has been several
> > days since server address change. I'm running 2.6.38.2 kernel on
> > Ubuntu 10.04.
> >
> > Any way to clear that dns_resolver cache? I have no desire to reboot
> > the machine.
> >

> It seems that dns_resolver sets expiry timeout to zero here
> (http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/security/keys/key.c#L310) and
> doesn't change it - so, it always returns cached value.
>
> David, can you comment on this problem, please?

I think the right thing to do here is probably to tie the lifetime of
the key to the record's TTL. Getting that info may be a little tricky
though since it's not generally available via getaddrinfo and such.

Also, for name records that come from /etc/hosts or yp, or some other
mechanism you'll need to pick a default TTL since those mechanisms
don't provide one.

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>