Re: CIFS endless console spammage in 2.6.38.7

On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 11:07:58 -0700
Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 06/01/2011 11:01 AM, Jeff Layton wrote:
> > On Tue, 31 May 2011 15:54:36 -0500
> > Steve French<smfrench@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
> >
> >> we will have more info when run with he quick and dirty modified logging
> >>

> > I'm not sure what that is, but what may be helpful is to launch a
> > kernel debugger when this happens, track down the TCP_Server_Info and
> > see what the state of the socket that hangs off of it is. If it's a
> > NULL pointer or an already-closed socket, then that may help point the
> > way to the root cause.
>
> We put in some WARN_ON calls to get stack traces, and some other
> connection related logging.  We should get a WARN_ON if the socket is NULL.
>
> We were not able to reproduce the problem last night..the file servers did
> screw up, but the CIFS clients acted normally.

Based on no real evidence at all and just a gut-feeling, I suspect that:

1) this is a long-standing bug

...and...

2) it's a race condition

...though it may be that recent changes have changed the timing enough
to make it more likely (hard to say until we understand the problem
better).

Have you seen this happen more than once?

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>