Re: Mounting DFS

On 25 Feb 2011 at 14:25, Q (Igor Mammedov) wrote:

> > mount -t cifs //someserver/share2 -ouser=someuser /mnt
> Hi Heinrich,
>
> Network packets dump of mount attempt would be helpful,
> so that I can see what exactly going on.

Four Files

smbclient.share1.pcap
smbclient.share2.pcap
mount.share1.pcap
mount.share2.pcap

attached for the following commands:

smbclient -U mi //share99.univie.ac.at/dfs/share1
smbclient -U mi //share99.univie.ac.at/share2
mount -t cifs -o user=mi //share99.univie.ac.at/dfs/share1 /mnt ccess
mount -t cifs -o user=mi //share99.univie.ac.at/share2 /mnt

the last command failed with:

Retrying with upper case share name
mount error(6): No such device or address
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

Relevant part of smb.conf on share99.univie.ac.at:

[dfs]
   msdfs root = yes
# symlink exists: /home/dfs/share1 -> msdfs://share.univie.ac.at/zid
   path = /home/dfs
[share2]
   msdfs root = yes
   msdfs proxy = \share.univie.ac.at\zid

The IP-Adresses are:

131.130.1.215 ... Server holding dfs-referrals
131.130.1.217 ... Server holding actual share
131.130.1.80  ... client

Hope this helps

Cheers

Heinrich
--
Heinrich Mislik
Zentraler Informatikdienst der Universitaet Wien