Re: cifs-utils 4.5-2: mount error(11): Resource temporarily unavailable

2010/11/18 Steve French <smfrench@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 12:15 PM, Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 17:13:26 +0100
>> André Sintzoff <andre.sintzoff@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Yes. The following lines should give the failure cause.
>>>
>>> [28899.254869] CIFS VFS: dns_resolve_server_name_to_ip: unable to
>>> resolve: server2.domain.com
>>> [28899.254879] CIFS VFS: cifs_compose_mount_options: Failed to resolve
>>> server part of \\server2.domain.com\path to IP: -11
>>>
>>> It seems that the mounting point //servername/somehow/deep/path is not
>>> physically on "servername" machine but already mounted from "server2"
>>> on "servername" filesystem. Therefore, cifs has to perform a second
>>> name resolution which fails.
>>> I don't understand why cifs is unable to resolve  server2.domain.com.
>>> ping server2.domain.com and host server2.domain.com are OK.
>>>
>>> On Ubuntu 10.04, the name resolution is correctly managed.
>>> The corresponding line in dmesg:
>>> [ 1396.567721]  /build/buildd/linux-2.6.32/fs/cifs/dns_resolve.c:
>>> dns_resolve_server_name_to_ip: resolved: server2.domain.com to
>>> 10.10.193.26
>>>
>>> I just change the mount command to use directly the server2 machine
>>> and it works.
>>>
>>> Thanks for giving me enough information to find a workaround.
>>>

>> It sounds like /etc/request-key.conf isn't set up to do DNS resolution
>> on the broken host. See the cifs.upcall manpage for details.
>
> Presumably this is a DFS redirection from some path on servername to
> \\server2\some-share - which requires that request-key be setup
> properly (to resolve the host name in kernel - when you directly mount
> to \\server2 - mount.cifs can use gethostbyname library call - which
> is not available for kernel code to call, thus the reason for the
> upcall helper Jeff mentions).  If this is misconfigured in current
> Ubuntu (note that the kernel moved to using cifs's host name
> resolution mechanism recently - ~in the last five months).  Probably
> need to log the bug against Ubuntu so they can fix their default
> configuration.

As suggested by Jeff, I check the request-key.conf file.
The file is missing because Ubuntu does not automagically install
keyutils package during installation of smbfs.
It seems that there is a missing dependency on Ubuntu 10.10.
Once keyutils package is installed, the DFS redirection is OK.

Thanks again for your support

André