Re: CIFS in 2.6.32.24 kernel

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 10:17:10 -0700 (PDT)
Matt <mbedynek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

(re-cc'ing linux-cifs)

> > It's very odd to have a single set of quotes around the
> > "device" and
> > "target" strings like that. Does this work any better if
> > you do quote
> > them separately. For instance?
>
> My apologies.  That is my mistake error in reformatting for e-mail.  In the actual usage it is :

Ok, that may be part of the problem. Does this work any better if you
supply an 'ip=' mount option with the ip address of the server?

> Few additional pieces of information:
>
> I have tested this on Debian Lenny and Debian Etch.  In both cases, I am using the same kernel (2.6.32.24) because I had even more crashes in kernels older than 2.6.32.
>
> Debian etch uses samba 3.0.24 whereas Lenny uses 3.2.5.
>
> In both cases, I have tested with mount.cifs installed and with it not.

The problem is likely to be in the kernel. My suspicion is a
refcounting bug of some sort. I fixed up some problems recently that
might have these sorts of symptoms, does this fare any better with a
more recent kernel (2.6.36 or so) ?

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxx>