Re: Severe performance issue (Ubuntu 10.04 mounting an XP share)

On 5 July 2010 14:04, Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Yep, sounds like the server just isn't responding here. When that
> happens, cifs currently forces a reconnect after the call times out.
> Ugly and I believe unnecessary...when the server ACKs the response we
> shouldn't force a reconnect just because the server is taking a while
> to respond. Right now though we don't change the mid state to show that
> the call was successfully sent, so that probably ought to be fixed so
> we can deal with that differently.
>
> It's possible that by making the client wait indefinitely, the server
> will eventually respond. It's also possible however that the server is
> just dropping these calls on the floor for some reason and will never
> respond. Hard to say which it is.
>
> Shirish was working recently on fixing the "hard" mount option for
> cifs. It might be worth trying out his patches.

This doesn't quite feel right. I mean, why one day should an XP host
just stop responding at random to requests? I know it's Microsoft but
even so...

I took a look at the Event Viewer and under Security there are
0xC0000064 errors as smbfs makes it's accesses. Perhaps this is a
clue?

Applying a patch might not be particularly easy as this box is stock
Ubuntu (excepting the upstream kernel) and I don't particularly want
to start compiling bits just to make phpunit run as it was a few days
ago.

James