Re: Kernel hang caused by commit "can: m_can: Start/Cancel polling timer together with interrupts"

On Tue, 2024-07-09 at 14:23 +0200, Markus Schneider-Pargmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jul 03, 2024 at 02:50:04PM GMT, Matthias Schiffer wrote:

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I think on 6.9 a revert is not easily possible (without reverting several other commits adding new
> > > features), but it should be considered for 6.6.
> > >
> > > I don't think further regressions are possible by reverting, as on 6.6 the timer is only used for
> > > platforms without an m_can IRQ, and on these platforms the current behavior is "the kernel
> > > reproducibly deadlocks in atomic context", so there is not much room for making it worse.
> > >
> > > Like Markus, I have writing a proper fix for this on my TODO list, but I'm not sure when I can get
> > > to it - hopefully next week.
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > Matthias
> >
> > A small update from my side:
> >
> > I had a short look into the issue today, but I've found that I don't quite grasp the (lack of)
> > locking in the m_can driver. The m_can_classdev fields active_interrupts and irqstatus are accessed
> > from a number of different contexts:
> >
> > - active_interrupts is *mostly* read and written from the ISR/hrtimer callback, but also from
> > m_can_start()/m_can_stop() and (in error paths) indirectly from m_can_poll() (NAPI callback). It is
> > not clear to me whether start/stop/poll could race with the ISR on a different CPU. Besides being
> > used for ndo_open/stop, m_can_start/stop also happen from PM callbacks.
> > - irqstatus is written from the ISR (or hrtimer callback) and read from m_can_poll() (NAPI callback)
> >
> > Is this correct without explicit sychronization, or should there be some locking or atomic for these
> > accesses?
>
> Thanks for pointing these out. I started creating some fixes for some of
> the patches. Not done yet, but I am working on it.
>
> Best,
> Markus

Hi Markus,

thanks for the update. I'm going to be out of office from Jul 12-26, so I will only be able to test
fixes when I'm back.

Best regards,
Matthias

--
TQ-Systems GmbH | Mühlstraße 2, Gut Delling | 82229 Seefeld, Germany
Amtsgericht München, HRB 105018
Geschäftsführer: Detlef Schneider, Rüdiger Stahl, Stefan Schneider
https://www.tq-group.com/

[Index of Archives]     [Automotive Discussions]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]     [CAN Bus]