Rare mcp251xfd crash after CRC read error, in timestamp read routine

Hello Marc et al.,

I have discovered a rare but annoying crash in mcp251xfd. I don't know how to
replicate this directly, and the occurrence rate is very low (on the order of
once per 1e7 frames or so).

I cannot be too specific on our hardware, but we are running ARMv8, and the CAN
chip is the MCP2518FD. The kernel version is 6.1.21.

The crash always happens immediately following a CRC read error. I've attached
a sample kernel log of the crash (hopefully correctly - I've not interacted
with mailing lists for a while). So far, the call trace is always the same.

To be clear, this is not after every CRC read error; those are several orders
of magnitude more frequent than this crash.

I've done a tiny bit of digging myself, but I'm not familiar with the
territory. I guess something in the SPI dev struct is being set to NULL, while
an SPI transaction is ongoing - but it surely must be related to the CRC read
error and the timestamp read.

Thanks for reading :)

[Index of Archives]     [Automotive Discussions]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]     [CAN Bus]