Continuous CAN/CAN FD latency testing on mainline and RT kernels

Hello Oliver and Carsten and others,

we have reached state where we have running CAN
latester service automatically again.

We use the CTU CAN FD IP core for precise timestamps
of messages on a measurement and load generation device
and user-space or kernel-space CAN gateway on
the device under the tests (DUT, at this moment
Zynq based MZ_APO kit with CTU CAN FD as well).
But there are minimal requirements on DUT side,
device sends all frames received on one CAN interface
to another one. All systems supported by SocketCAN
can be tested easily and implementation of GW
for other systems is simple as well. We have even
variant for testing of device with single interface
but for flood load it is not ideal setup.

The actual results overview with detailed and compare
sub-pages

  https://canbus.pages.fel.cvut.cz/can-latester/

The project is part of CTU CAN/CAN FD projects
of FEE at Czech Technical University in Prague

  https://canbus.pages.fel.cvut.cz/

Our overview last year article about our CAN projects
in general and CAN latency testing results and plans
in little more details there

  https://can-newsletter.org/uploads/media/raw/a9abe317ae034be55d99fee4410ad70e.pdf

Consider the announced setup as experimental still but we
hope that it will mature to durable, long term solution.
The actual setup includes Debian x86 virtual dedicated
for CAN latency testing control and results processing,
a rack with MZ_APO Xilinx Zynq (Linux 6.2.0-rt3 SMP PREEMPT_RT)
as measurement/load device, the second MZ_APO Xilinx Zynq
as actual/current DUT (mainline and linux-rt-devel for-kbuild-bot/current-stable)
kernels and ARM64 sun50i-h5-orangepi-zero-plus (Linux
6.1.15 #5 SMP PREEMPT) PiKRON.com provided testbed controller
which controls 24V and 5V power supply and monitors serial
ports of the both MZ_APO boards.

We plan presentation about GNU/Linux CAN support in general
and then about CAN bus/SocketCAN and its realtime capabilities
testing at RedHat DevConf CZ (June 17 3:30pm - 4:05pm CEST)

  https://devconfcz2023.sched.com/event/1MYjG/can-bus-in-control-automotive-and-satellitelites

We will be happy for feedback and proposals for future
development directions. But be prepared, that we are slow,
I spent the most of my time with computer architectures
teaching these days and I have some new motion control project
at company related to minor contribution to the ground
experiments in the frame of LISA (concept of low-frequency
gravitational wave detection in space) project at company.
But CAN in Linux, NuttX and RTEMS kernels and in FPGAs
is area of my long term interrest. I hope that we
reach mainline with CTU CAN FD timestamping patches.

As for actual setup, we see problems with preemp RT
kernel on Zynq platform with 6.3+ kernels (6.2 and
previous versions has been stable for years), but
the issue seems to be unrelated to SocketCAN so it
is discussion for another list.

I want to thanks to colleagues, our graduates and studnets
who have contributed to the project and made it possible.
The theses directly related to the project

  https://dspace.cvut.cz/bitstream/handle/10467/80366/F3-DP-2019-Jerabek-Martin-Jerabek-thesis-2019-canfd.pdf
  https://dspace.cvut.cz/bitstream/handle/10467/101450/F3-DP-2022-Vasilevski-Matej-vasilmat.pdf

Pavel Hronek is now finishing his own bachelor thesis
related mainly to the CAN latency testing automation
and web presentation, it will be available after submition
on the list our CAN theses at https://canbus.pages.fel.cvut.cz/
as well as the wider reach of theses of OTREES informal group

  https://gitlab.fel.cvut.cz/otrees/org/-/wikis/theses-defend

Best wishes,

                Pavel Pisa
    phone:      +420 603531357
    e-mail:     pisa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Department of Control Engineering FEE CVUT
    Karlovo namesti 13, 121 35, Prague 2
    university: http://control.fel.cvut.cz/
    personal:   http://cmp.felk.cvut.cz/~pisa
    projects:   https://www.openhub.net/accounts/ppisa
    CAN related:http://canbus.pages.fel.cvut.cz/
    RISC-V education: https://comparch.edu.cvut.cz/
    Open Technologies Research Education and Exchange Services
    https://gitlab.fel.cvut.cz/otrees/org/-/wikis/home

[Index of Archives]     [Automotive Discussions]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]     [CAN Bus]