Re: [RFC 0/6] pcmcia: separate 16-bit support from cardbus

On 27.02.2023 21:32:40, Oliver Hartkopp wrote:
> On 27.02.23 20:53, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 27, 2023, at 20:07, Oliver Hartkopp wrote:
>
> > > I assume these CAN bus PCMCIA interfaces won't work after your patch
> > > set, right?
> >
> > Correct, the patch series in its current form breaks this since
> > your laptop is cardbus compatible. The options I can see are:
> >
> > - abandon my series and keep everything unchanged, possibly removing
> >    some of the pcmcia drivers that Dominik identified as candidates
> >
> > - decide on a future timeline for when you are comfortable with
> >    discontinuing this setup and require any CAN users with cardbus
> >    laptops to move to USB or cardbus CAN adapters, apply the series
> >    then
> >
> > - duplicate the yenta_socket driver to have two variants of that,
> >    require the user to choose between the cardbus and the pcmcia
> >    variant depending on what card is going to be used.
> >
> > Can you give more background on who is using the EMS PCMCIA card?
> > I.e. are there reasons to use this device on modern kernels with
> > machines that could also support the USB, expresscard or cardbus
> > variants, or are you likely the only one doing this for the
> > purpose of maintaining the driver?
>
> Haha, good point.
>
> In fact the EMS PCMCIA, the PEAK PCMCIA (PCAN PC Card) and the supported
> Softing PCMCIA cards are nearly 20 year old designs and they are all
> discontinued for some time now. Today you can easily get a high performance
> Classical CAN USB adapter with an excellent OSS firmware for ~13 EUR.
>
> The only other laptop CAN "Cards" I'm aware of are PCIe "ExpressCard" 34/54
> from PEAK System which use the PCI subsystem.
>
> Maybe you are right and we should simply drop the support for those old
> PCMCIA drivers which will still be supported for the LTS 6.1 lifetime then.
>
> @Marc Kleine-Budde: What do you think about removing these three drivers?

I don't have any of these cards, nor any $CUSTOMER who's using it.

Marc

--
Pengutronix e.K.                 | Marc Kleine-Budde           |
Embedded Linux                   | https://www.pengutronix.de  |

[Index of Archives]     [Automotive Discussions]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]     [CAN Bus]