Re: can, m_can, tcan4x5x : big jitter between the packets by sending

Hi Michael,

On 19.05.22 17:52, Michael Anochin wrote:

my application continuously sends 64 bytes CANFD packets with 1MBit/s at the 10ms interval.

How does this application implement this 10ms interval?

Can you check whether

    cangen -g 10 -f -I 123 -L 64 can0

has the same problems?

With

    candump -td can0

you should be able to see some timestamp gaps around 10ms.

I use tcan4450 on the RPI4 with 5.10.103 Kernel and raspbian. No other significant processes load the CPU.

When I monitor the traffic with a PCAN adapter on a Windows PC, I notice that the packets sometimes arrive with a delay of 5-9ms. But the next following packet arrive faster as 10ms. My desired interval of 10ms is kept at the jitter of +/- 9ms.

Running the App on only one CPU core using tasksel improve the jitter somewhat.

What is the use-case for this 10ms cyclic transmission? Maybe the CAN_BCM (which uses in-kernel highres timers) could bring an improvement for you.

Am I the only one who observes such large jitter or is the m_can implementation at Perepherie (spi) not so fast from the throughput and is completely normal.

Maybe I should switch to 5.17 kernel? On 5.17 there are bulk read/write function for spi regmap.

I don't answer to this as I don't have the required SPI knowledge ... but if you could upgrade to a newer kernel this is always a good approach ;-)

Best regards,
Oliver

[Index of Archives]     [Automotive Discussions]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [eCos]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]     [CAN Bus]