Re: Files read from NFS instead of fscache when also in pagecache

On Wed, Aug 2, 2023 at 3:35 AM Ole Salscheider <ole@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I noticed some strange behaviour of fscache with kernel 6.4.x in
> combination with NFS (v4.2) and the pagecache.
>
> I have multiple clients mounting an NFS v4.2 file system from a server
> and caching the data locally using fscache. After booting the clients,
> most data is served from fscache and only a few requests hit the NFS
> server. But after some minutes of operation (which typically includes a
> lot of cyclic data reading for us), fewer and fewer files are served
> from fscache and most are served by the NFS server.
> It seems that this has something to do with the files being also in the
> pagecache. If I periodcally drop the pagecache with "echo 3 >
> /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches", then most of the files are served from
> fscache again.
>
> Is this a known problem? If not, do you have any suggestion how I can
> try to find the root cause?

Yes this is most likely a known problem with a fix now in the
mm-unstable branch at
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/akpm/mm
If it's the same problem, take these 3 patches and that should fix it:
6fbefbe174ca mm: call folio_mapping() inside folio_needs_release()
04cb8ddab902 mm, netfs, fscache: stop read optimisation when folio
removed from pagecache
854fc8a567ab mm: merge folio_has_private()/filemap_release_folio() call pairs

The main patch that fixes it is "04cb8ddab902 mm, netfs, fscache: Stop
read optimisation when folio removed from pagecache" but there's a
prerequisite patch and a fixup patch.