Re: Linux-cachefs Digest, Vol 84, Issue 14

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 9:22 AM, Alan Brown <ajb2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> From: Mark Moseley <moseleymark@xxxxxxxxx>
>> Subject: Re:  3.0.3 64-bit Crash running
>>        fscache/cachefilesd
>
>> One slightly interesting thing, unrelated to fscache: This box is a
>> part of a pool of servers, serving the same web workloads. Another box
>> in this same pool is running 3.0.4, up for about 23 days (vs 6 hrs),
>> and the nfs_inode_cache is approximately 1/4 of the 3.1.0-rc8's,
>> size-wise, 1/3 #ofobjects-wise; likewise dentry in a 3.0.4 box with a
>> much longer uptime is about 1/9 the size (200k objs vs 1.8mil objects,
>> 45megs vs 400megs) as the 3.1.0-rc8 box. Dunno if that's the result of
>> VM improvements or a symptom of something leaking :)
>
> Have you tweaked your dentry and inode hash table settings yet?
>
> Mine are: dhash_entries=536870912 ihash_entries=268435456

I haven't (nor ever have), but that's pretty interesting. Thanks for
bringing that up. I'll have to play with that.

> It doesn't actually use that many as there's a hardcoded limit of 5% of
> memory (kernel recompile to adjust upwards) - but it's worthwhile doing on a
> big-memory fileserving box with lots of directories and file in the FS as
> the penalties attributable to hashing/walking the hash tables are far less
> than the penalties for disk seeks.
>
> The tweak is more applicable on the fileserver than on nfs clients but its
> worth looking into if the client needs to traverse large directory
> structures

They're not terribly deep in my case, but probably deep enough to
warrant experimentation. I'd definitely trade 3/4 of that memory tied
up by NFS inode caching in return for page cache.

> (FWIW I'm also playing around with using zramswap on a client - it makes a
> big difference, as does tweaking sysctl.conf on both client and server)

I've played with zram on and off for a while, but in 3.0.4, it tends
to blow up the system pretty quickly on me. What kernel are you
running it on?