Re: Overlong wait for old active object to go away

Mark Hills <mark@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In dmesg "Overlong wait for old active object to go away" (see full
> message below), and an application will hang or lock, eg. blocking on
> read().
>
> Sometimes it unblocks, sometimes it seems to hang indefinitely. Is there a
> higher level explanation for what is going on here?

I suspect that the OBJECT_RECYCLING state doesn't complete the transition to
the OBJECT_DYING state since we saw that we had to wait for outstanding
operations to complete at the time OBJECT_DYING was processed.  I think
there's probably a race in waking up the object state machine when the last
operation completes.

It would be useful you could try is grepping in /proc/fs/fscache/objects for
the objects named in the error text.  The object debug ID is right-aligned in
the first column without the "OBJ" attached.

I think I see a gap in my testing:-(.  I've mainly tested against a static set
of files on the server for reproducibility - but that doesn't test these paths.

I have manually done individual file alterations, but that doesn't stress
things.

David