Limiting case of a big cache

Short version: What happens with FS-Cache/cachefilesd as the cache grows to the size of the NFS filesystem it's caching?

Where I work we've used a network filesystem to achieve Single System Image for years (actually decades) now. It's been nice, but in the past few years it seems that network speeds haven't kept up. Add to this the fact that disk space is pretty darned cheap, and it makes me wonder about a slightly different operating regime for a network filesystem. We're not using NFS/FS-Cache at work, but I do for my home cluster, prompting this question. I suspect it's a generally applicable question, as well.

I'd like to just have enough disk space on my user-facing system(s) to hold all of their data. In this situation, the network filesystem becomes a real-time backup, a way to propagate data to different systems, a way to keep those systems in sync, and since I mentioned backup, a central point to run some sort of "time-machine"-like backup of old files.

Are you aware of limitations with the existing FS-Cache/cachefilesd work in this type of very-large-cache situation? Do writes to a cached filesystem write to the cache as well as to the NFS server? Does the write operation release when the NFS client has the data, or after the NFS server tells the client that it has it? Does the validation time for cached data start to dwarf any cache improvements as cache size increases?

On the side, what's the status of the in-kernel AFS? Last I knew it was don't-use, just use OpenAFS, but I thought I heard about GSoC work being done with the in-kernel module.

Thanks,
Dale Pontius