Re: Documentation on CacheFS?

Hans,

CacheFS is currently "on the back burner".  David did a great job implementing a cool design that turned out to be not so cool.

The problem is that, over time, data blocks would become ordered in reverse on the disk.  While in theory this shouldn't be a problem, in practice, hard disks do not like to access data files backwards.

My interest in CacheFS is to use it with a solid state disk for backing store.  For SSD's, this order problem is not a problem.

So I hope to bring CacheFS back into currency.  It has suffered some "bit rot" due to changed interfaces, etc.  David went through it and got a clean compile with a (more or less) up-to-date kernel (a moving target :-)) and I am testing/debugging it now (with a 2.6.35-rc5 kernel from the NFS working group).

I have just about made it through cache initialization, but still have problems (the mount command crashes!!).

-=# Paul Gilliam #=-