Re: Kernel 2.6.30-rc2

An initial "me too" since I haven't had a chance yet to debug why and post something more depth... but I'm seeing the same behaviour with -rc3, using cachefilesd 0.9 and mount.nfs from nfs-utils 1.1.6.

Many (but not all) files that are read from an fsc-mounted NFS3 share are written in the fscache location (using ext3 with user_xattr and dir_index), FWIW it seems anecdotally that files >~200MB are not being written to the fscache ever. For some reason the total size of the cache hasn't exceeded 599MB before triggering an OOPS or simply ceasing to continue filling.

Also, effectively NO cached file reads are occurring from the fscache, as evidenced by both inotify and watching IOPS to the underlying block device hosting the ext3 filesystem.

I plan to look into this further ASAP, but right now that's all I can say for sure. As soon as I get a chance to reproduce the kernel oops, cachefilesd errors, etc I'll re-post if it's before this is fixed.

/eli

Edward Konetzko wrote:
I have been testing fscache with kernel 2.6.29-rc3 and everything works
as expected. I have been testing 2.6.30-rc2 and everything appeared to
be working fine except when I look the resource graphs it seems like
objects are not being retried from cachefilesd after they are cached on
disk.  I have stopped cachefilesd, cleaned out its cache, rebooted
verified everything in dmesg and lsmod is correct and the behavior of no
caching persists.  I have resorted back to the 2.6.29-rc3 kernel pulled
from Howells git repo and everything works as expected with no changes
to the system.

My test for checking out fscache is very simple I am just copying over
the kernel try from an nfs mount to local disk then remove the copied
files and repeat.

I am building kernel 2.6.30-rc3 right now and going to see if I have the
same problem.  I was just wondering if there was something wrong with
2.6.30-rc2.

More info about my system
mount.nfs (linux nfs-utils 1.1.5)
cachefilesd-0.9.tar.bz2