Using latest code

David,

I'd like to test out the latest set of patches and code but I can't figure out how to use git to get the kernel source to the "commit" point mentioned in the tarball. Any chance you could provide some foolproof instructions for getting the latest fscache code working? It is a pity this code is not kept up to date in the EL5 kernel.

I tried the latest cachefilesd RPM with the EL5 version of cachefiles but the daemon crashes out after a few minutes. Also is it normal to have the cachefilesd process chew 100% for long periods of time? A quick strace suggests it is doing a lot of "culls" but the filesystem is never near full enough for that to trigger.

Have you considered using nfscache on a server to reexport a cached version of the NFS mount? In WAN environments this is a useful way to automatically move data into a local cache at a remote office. It is something we are considering trying - do you see any problems with this kind of setup? I'm currently just exporting a cached NFS mount over Samba (you can't reexport NFS which is a shame).

Regards,

Daire