how to patch vanilla 2.6.26

Hi,

I have tried to apply the latest 39 patch-series to a vanilla 2.6.26 kernel, but I am getting the following errors. (Please see below...) Please forgive my grammar. Patching Linux kernels is not my native language. ;-)

No matter what kernel version I have tried to patch, I always experience issues with patches 6 and 20, both of which update kernel/capability.c.

What am I doing wrong?

Incidentally, if I take a stab at merging the rejects by hand, ignoring rejects, or allowing patch to do the best it can, then make fails... (please see bottom of note.)

Lastly, when might these patches be merged into the mainline kernel? I am having trouble verifying this feature, but if it is responsible for the differences that I am seeing between "factory" patched and non-patched versions, then cachefs makes a significant improvement to apps that use NFS as their working directory (where they constantly open, read, filter, write, close, and recycle the same data stream).

Thanks!

Trevor

==========================
# mkdir /root/fscache-patch ; cd /root/fscache-patch
# wget http://people.redhat.com/~dhowells/nfs/nfs+fscache-39.tar.bz2
# cd /usr/src
# wget http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.26.tar.bz2
# tar -jxvf linux-2.6.26.tar.bz2
# ln -snf linux-2.6.26 linux
# cd linux
# for f in `ls /root/fscache-patch/patchset/*.diff` ; do echo "== $f ==" ; patch -p1 < $f ; sleep 3 ; done
== /root/fscache-patch/patchset/01-fix-PF_SUPERPRIV.diff ==
patching file include/linux/capability.h
patching file include/linux/security.h
patching file kernel/capability.c
patching file kernel/ptrace.c
patching file mm/oom_kill.c
patching file security/capability.c
patching file security/commoncap.c
patching file security/dummy.c
patching file security/root_plug.c
patching file security/security.c
patching file security/selinux/hooks.c
patching file security/smack/smack_lsm.c
== /root/fscache-patch/patchset/03-filecap-no-longer-experimental.diff ==
patching file security/Kconfig
== /root/fscache-patch/patchset/04-keys-disperse-key_ui_h.diff ==
patching file include/keys/keyring-type.h
patching file include/linux/key-ui.h
patching file security/keys/internal.h
patching file security/keys/keyring.c
patching file security/keys/request_key.c
== /root/fscache-patch/patchset/05-keys-alter-key-instantiation.diff ==
patching file include/linux/key.h
patching file include/linux/keyctl.h
patching file kernel/kmod.c
patching file security/keys/internal.h
patching file security/keys/keyctl.c
patching file security/keys/process_keys.c
patching file security/keys/request_key.c
patching file security/keys/request_key_auth.c
== /root/fscache-patch/patchset/06-cred-neuter-sys_capset.diff ==
patching file fs/open.c
patching file include/linux/security.h
patching file kernel/capability.c
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Assume -R? [n]
Apply anyway? [n] n
Skipping patch.
6 out of 6 hunks ignored -- saving rejects to file kernel/capability.c.rej
patching file security/commoncap.c
== /root/fscache-patch/patchset/20-cred-cow-creds.diff ==
patching file fs/exec.c
patching file fs/nfsd/auth.c
patching file fs/nfsd/nfs4recover.c
patching file fs/open.c
patching file include/linux/capability.h
patching file include/linux/cred.h
patching file include/linux/init_task.h
patching file include/linux/key.h
patching file include/linux/sched.h
patching file include/linux/security.h
patching file init/main.c
patching file kernel/capability.c
Hunk #2 FAILED at 111.
Hunk #3 FAILED at 125.
Hunk #4 FAILED at 134.
Hunk #5 FAILED at 167.
Hunk #6 FAILED at 228.
Hunk #7 FAILED at 243.
Hunk #8 FAILED at 267.
7 out of 8 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file kernel/capability.c.rej

$ make
scripts/kconfig/conf -s arch/x86/Kconfig
 CHK     include/linux/version.h
 UPD     include/linux/version.h
 CHK     include/linux/utsrelease.h
 UPD     include/linux/utsrelease.h
 SYMLINK include/asm -> include/asm-x86
 CC      kernel/bounds.s
 GEN     include/linux/bounds.h
 CC      arch/x86/kernel/asm-offsets.s
 GEN     include/asm-x86/asm-offsets.h
 CALL    scripts/checksyscalls.sh
 CC      scripts/mod/empty.o
 HOSTCC  scripts/mod/mk_elfconfig
 MKELF   scripts/mod/elfconfig.h
 HOSTCC  scripts/mod/file2alias.o
 HOSTCC  scripts/mod/modpost.o
 HOSTCC  scripts/mod/sumversion.o
 HOSTLD  scripts/mod/modpost
 HOSTCC  scripts/kallsyms
 HOSTCC  scripts/conmakehash
 HOSTCC  scripts/bin2c
 CC      init/main.o
In file included from init/main.c:33:
include/linux/security.h: In function 'security_ptrace_traceme':
include/linux/security.h:1751: error: 'parent' undeclared (first use in this function) include/linux/security.h:1751: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
include/linux/security.h:1751: error: for each function it appears in.)
make[1]: *** [init/main.o] Error 1
make: *** [init] Error 2