Re: Problem compiling source package (Estonian eID Software)

Hello Thomas,

I have just installed Ubuntu in a CHROOT (Base-System is Debian
Stretch) and there is something missing even in Ubuntu...

Am 2013-03-13 hackte Thomas Lamprecht in die Tasten:
> Incompatible Libraries, like OpenSSL for example?

I just got an answer from one of the developers and send me this link:
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/42662733/evp-md-ctx-error-storage-size-of-ctx-isn-t-known>

...and you are right!

> I looked in the projects debian/control files, they
> have almost no required version in their (build-)dependency
> list, which does not really help...

This is why I am strugling with this particular source code.

> But looking for some of your errors seems to confirm it:
>
>> You are using OpenSSL 1.1.0 which made this structure (and many
>> others) opaque - which means you cannot stack allocate it. Instead
>> do this:
>>
>> EVP_MD_CTX *md_ctx;
>>
>> md_ctx = EVP_MD_CTX_new();
>> if (md_ctx == NULL)
>> EVP_MD_CTX_free(md_ctx);
>>
> -- https://stackoverflow.com/a/42666983

;-)

> I.e., running stretch I have OpenSSL 1.1.0f:
> # apt show libssl-dev
> Package: libssl-dev
> Version: 1.1.0f-3+deb9u1
>
> Whereas they probably still expect 1.0.X (reasonable guess)
> See: https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=libssl-dev
>
> All released Ubuntus have still 1.0.2g or earlier, only the
> upcoming "bionic" release will sync up with Debian.

Grmpf!

> So either add some #ifdef macros checking which OpenSSL version
> is on the build host and use the new patterns to differ between 1.0.1
> and 1.1.0 or write them again that their code won't work under the
> Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Bionic Beaver, they have tto support it sooner or
> later so should fix it them self.

I think, I will make a debian specific patch for it.

> hope that helps at least a bit,

Yes, it helped very well, at least until I discover other problems.

> cheers,
> Thomas

Thanks in advance

--